Christmas is coming and with it summer holidays and the annual lockdown. Here’s some random information based on questions we get asked most years; 7 Christmas hacks to make your life easier.
Annual Close down dates.
Christmas is coming, and you’ll want to plan for the holidays.
- Does your work have an annual closedown over the Christmas holidays? If so, have you been told in writing?
- Your employer is required to give you their annual closedown dates in writing.
- All employees are entitled to be paid public holidays while on annual leave if your workday is on a public holiday.
- And sick leave if you fall ill during your time off on holiday.
Holiday pay, keep a record of your payslips.
- Your employer has to keep holiday and leave records
- But it’s a good idea if you keep your own records so you can check if you’re getting the correct holiday entitlements.
- Annual leave is complicated.
- Basically annual leave is calculated as 8% of your annual salary or wage
Same old Christmas do?
- If your work is putting on a Christmas do, ask for something different instead of the traditional Christmas party.
- You could go go-carting, bowling or something different, axe throwing, or tree climbing.
- Check with your work colleagues what they would like to do.
- Organizing an end of year party with them may take more effort, but it gives everyone an experience they will all enjoy.
Check what the work party’s dress code.
- If you are having a traditional Christmas party, check out the dress code before you go. Please don’t do a Bridget Jones unless it’s an ugly Christmas jumper party.
- Shorts are not business dresses.
- Skimpy dresses may be fun in the nightclub but not at your work do.
Clean out the work fridge.
- Remember to take home any food you have in the fridge.
- Put a notice reminding people of the annual closedown date.
- Be clear about what will happen to any food left in the fridge.
- You want to avoid returning to a mould civilization in your work fridge.
- Better still, clean it out on the last day before closing down.
Reset your office and work email to out of hours.
- Set up your out-of-office email. It’s easily forgotten and it’s no fun getting Outlook pinging you on Christmas day either.
- Remember to change the message on the businesses answer phone, especially the date of your return.
Sanitize your workspace.
- Where possible, sanitize your workspace.
- That pesky virus is still part of our community, so basic hygiene will help keep us all safe and happy in the coming New Year.